Picture

Picture
Chestnut Hill Reservoir, Boston MA

27 February 2011

Architecture

Though I've never studied architecture formally, I have an innate appreciation for the power of the built environment to shape, inspire, or constrict the human activity that occurs therein. A midweek visit with a good friend to the Frank Lloyd Wright house and studio in Oak Park, Illinois renewed an attentiveness to the complicated relationships between people and cities that first captivated me in a course on urban geography that I took as a first-year Dartmouth student. The urban landscapes of Chicago and Milwaukee, in their constituent buildings and their overall layout, invited both intellectual and instinctual reflection during the course of my time in these cities this past week. In lieu of sharing any written meditations along these lines, I offer some of my photographs, inviting your own reflection about what these buildings and spaces suggest to you.

Michigan Avenue Bridge and Downtown Chicago

Home designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, Oak Park IL

Rotunda of the Chicago Cultural Center

Merchandise Mart, Chicago IL

Pere Marquette Statue and St. Joan of Arc Chapel
Marquette University, Milwaukee WI

Main Lobby, Milwaukee Museum of Art

No comments:

Post a Comment