Picture

Picture
Chestnut Hill Reservoir, Boston MA

06 August 2011

Down the Shore

"Devotion"

The heart can think of no devotion
Greater than being shore to the ocean–
Holding the curve of one position,
Counting an endless repetition.

– Robert Frost

This short little poem, one of several by Frost that I've memorized, came to mind often during my week "Down the Shore," as we say in South Jersey. I'm always captivated by the beauty here, whether in an ominous storm front, a marsh along my morning cycling route, or the meeting of smooth sandy beaches and rolling ocean waves on a sunny day. My love of the sea and the coast was born here, and is renewed each time I visit.

Thunderstorm over Avalon NJ

Bayside marshes in Sea Isle City, NJ

Seagulls on 7 Mile Beach, Avalon NJ

Sunrise over Townsend's Inlet, Avalon NJ

No comments:

Post a Comment