Picture

Picture
Chestnut Hill Reservoir, Boston MA

04 November 2011

Prayer Ledge

This week I decided that it was time to do some "fall cleaning" in my room. That meant washing windows, dusting shelves and ledges, and a thorough sweep with the vacuum cleaner. This decision afforded me the opportunity to rearrange one of my favorite parts of my room– the so-called "prayer ledge." Running the length of the three windows that look out upon a quiet dead-end street, the objects and images that I keep here anchor me in the friendships, inspiring figures, and memories expressing divine grace and instilling personal gratitude when I quiet myself enough to truly notice them. Just as gently as these windows draw my attention from interior concerns to the exterior world in which I dwell, the array of items on my ledge– from prayer cards to photographs, from decorative tiles to Boston Marathon medals– enables me to step more fluidly into prayer and meditation. It's a cozy space, one I'm pleased to appreciate anew after sprucing it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment