Picture

Picture
Chestnut Hill Reservoir, Boston MA

04 July 2012

A Prayer on the Fourth

The new translation of the Roman Missal includes special prayers for use at Mass in the United States on the Fourth Of July. One in particular, to be used before the reading of the day, resonates with me as I'm moving through my observance of the holiday this year:

"Father of all nations and ages,
we recall the day when our country
claimed its place among the family of nations;
for what has been achieved we give you thanks,
for the work that still remains we ask your help,
and as you have called us from many peoples to be one nation,
grant that, under your providence,
our country may share your blessings
with all the peoples of the earth.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever."

May you all have a delightful Fourth of July, and may our country and its people be blessed.

P.S.: More soon about the adventures during, and some of the rationale behind, my absence from the blogosphere over the past few weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the prayer! I didn't make it to mass on the fourth, so I'm glad I was able to read these words. :)

    ReplyDelete