Picture

Picture
Chestnut Hill Reservoir, Boston MA

16 May 2013

Spring Cleaning

Not long ago, I promised myself that I'd spend the first rainy weekend day after the Boston Marathon thoroughly reviewing the contents of my room. Last Saturday, waking to the sound of gentle rain, I knew that it was going to be a long day... and hoped that it would be a productive one, as I didn't want to lose any subsequent lovely weather to the task that lay before me.

Sorting paperwork

After a refreshing morning run and some pleasant breakfast conversation with my brothers, I headed upstairs to undertake the first (and hardest) phase of the project: my desk. One drawer at a time, all kinds of paperwork, envelopes, folders, and similar items were spread out on the floor... one pile for discards, many others for reclassifying the material that I'd keep. A few hours later, my carpet was clear of debris, my desk drawers were neatly closed, and I'd carried more than 15 pounds of paper to the shredder bin or the recycling bucket.

Clothes for donation

I spent the afternoon going through my clothes, thinning out a wardrobe that has seen me through four distinct seasons for the past four years in New England. I didn't diminish its scope, yet I did narrow its variety, culling enough items to fill two hefty plastic bags with a range of attire suited to Worcester's broad range of weather. The next morning, I heaved them into a donation bin adjacent to the city's freight rail yard, completing the process of spring cleaning.

During the course of the day, a number of my brothers passed by my open door and commented upon my progress. One offered simple advice– "When in doubt, toss it!"– while another inquired wittily, "When's the yard sale?" Many stopped to chat across the threshold for a minute or so, some commenting on their own practice of periodically reviewing and thinning their possessions. When it came time to relax with the brethren before dinner, I felt a certain lightness, yet also a renewed sense of rootedness. Discarding so much paper and so many clothes gave me greater peace about the feasibility and smoothness of an upcoming move, but also reminded me that I'd much rather focus on the immaterial possessions that are genuine treasures– particularly the relationships of brotherhood that exist in my community and lend so much support and joy to my days. With notably less in my room, I'll hopefully be more apt to regularly appreciate those gifts that aren't possessed or owned, yet held with great care and devotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment