Picture

Picture
Chestnut Hill Reservoir, Boston MA

09 April 2011

High Points

Jerimoth Hill, RI

In making a bucket list for my three years of regency in Worcester, I included two sets of items designed to encourage travel, prayer, and some enjoyment of the great outdoors. New England has 11 dioceses, which means there are 11 cathedral to visit. Each state also has a high point, some more accessible than others. Today I checked off both sites in Rhode Island– Jerimoth Hill (elevation 812 feet) and the Cathedral of Sts. Peter and Paul in downtown Providence.
The hilltop is just a three-minute stroll from the side of a state highway, and in the middle of a stand of trees. The cathedral, some 25 miles away, is in the midst of a brick plaza bounded by apartments, a diocesan office building, and a small park. Neither space had the grandeur and impressiveness of the other cathedrals and high points I've reached, but I enjoyed being able to visit both within two hours, and the way that each quietly raised my spirits on a mild spring afternoon.

Cathedral of Sts. Peter and Paul, Providence RI

No comments:

Post a Comment