Picture

Picture
Chestnut Hill Reservoir, Boston MA

03 April 2011

Waiting

College of the Holy Cross, Worcester MA

The temperature did hit 50 degrees in Worcester this afternoon, though a brisk north wind carried some chilliness that blunted the strength of the warm sunshine. After sitting on a bench for a short while, I strolled by the greenhouse, and noticed how full it suddenly was. So many plants and flowers, all neatly arranged, waiting to be spread out around campus.
Spring is taking a long time to arrive in Worcester this year... I don't remember it being this much of a wait last year. Some other things that I've been waiting for lately have also been taking a long time to arrive: more confidence in the classroom, less self-criticism about myself in general, a greater readiness to be generous with my time and my talents when the situations in which I might do so inspire more fear than fortitude, more anxiety than ambition.
I'm trying to hope that these graces I seek– but don't always ask for– are growing somewhere, and will one day be given to me to take root in my life, somehow... just like a campus that is still not quite ready for the flowers in the greenhouse, though desirous of the season that they signify.

1 comment:

  1. Spring does feel as if it is arriving slowly this year, even in Philadelphia. I assuaged my winter blahs with a trip to Longwood Gardens last month. :)

    ReplyDelete