Picture

Picture
Chestnut Hill Reservoir, Boston MA

14 June 2011

Katahdin Memories

As a Jesuit friend and I pack up for a few days in New Hampshire, and an attempt to hike up Mount Washington, I'm recalling the fun (and sometimes harrowing danger) we shared on Mount Katahdin, the highest peak in Maine, a year ago. If our trip is successful, I'll be only one peak away from my goal of reaching the six state high points in New England during my regency. So far, Katahdin has been the most challenging, and most rewarding, summit expedition I've undertaken in the course of this project. Washington might eclipse it; a thousand feet higher, only slightly less remote, and prone to some ridiculous weather. Summit conditions on New Hampshire's highest peak as I post this entry: 34 degrees, 36 mph winds, and near-zero visibility. Good thing we're not hiking today. I'll undoubtedly have some stories to share by the weekend; in the meantime, some images from last year's Katahdin hike:

Mount Katahdin and Chimney Pond
Baxter State Park, ME

J.D. the moose visits our campground

The aptly-named Knife Edge

Looking waaaay down from the Knife Edge toward Chimney Pond

The highest point in Maine: 5,267 feet above sea level

1 comment:

  1. Ah, I remember some of these photos! Have a wonderful trip. You should be getting a letter from STL in the next few days. I just put it in the mail this afternoon. :)

    ReplyDelete