Picture

Picture
Chestnut Hill Reservoir, Boston MA

22 June 2011

Rain

It's been raining on and off all day here in Worcester, a marked change after a few days of lovely summer weather: mild sunshine, blue skies, cool breezes. The varying sounds– heavy drops sliding off the broad leaves of the shrubs outside my window, the percussion of the occasional fiercer downpour, the whisper of tapering drizzle– created a nice soundtrack for some work, reading, and prayer I enjoyed in my room this afternoon and evening. Amid the more laid-back schedule of the summer, I'm grateful for the gift of more time and energy to notice, meditate upon, and appreciate simple blessings like summer rain.

Excerpt from "Rain"

The rain is slow.
The little birds are alive in it.
Even the beetles.
The green leaves lap it up.
What shall I do, what shall I do?

– From New and Selected Poems: Volume One
By Mary Oliver

1 comment: