Picture

Picture
Chestnut Hill Reservoir, Boston MA

09 December 2011

Advent (Week II)

Some images and experiences from Week II of Advent 2011:


Frost on the windows above my prayer ledge nicely framed a memento of Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish, my faith community for three years in St. Louis, on a chilly morning in Worcester.


Over breakfast on Wednesday morning, the 70th anniversary of the bombing of Pearl Harbor, some of my octogenarian brothers shared stories of where they were on that "day that shall live in infamy." Crisp memories of their high school classes being interrupted by radio bulletins impressed me with the power of recollection, and the value of honoring and drawing on such living links to the past, in order that we may live better in the present and future. 





My ongoing adjustment to the new translation of the Roman Missal has inspired some more careful study of the text. Even though there's still a long road of formation and preparation before I can be considered for priestly ordination (prayers always appreciated!), I'm finding fulfillment in meditating on the texts that have been created to guide the people of God– priests, ministers, and laypersons–  in their celebration of the Mass.


"Grant that your people, we pray, almighty God,
may be ever watchful
for the coming of your Only Begotten Son
that, as the author of our salvation himself has taught us,
we may hasten, alert and with lighted lamps,
to meet him when he comes.
Who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, forever and ever."

– Collect, Mass for Friday of the Second Week of Advent

3 comments:

  1. Lovely, meditative images. That last scene looks so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rachel! The last scene is inside a hermitage at a small rural Christian community roughly an hour away from Worcester... reading in silence beside an oil lamp was a delightfully tranquil and meditative experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that small wooden grotto replica ;)
    Sr. Cathy's idea I imagine. When I left they "updated" a bit and gave an Our Lady of Guadalupe mouse pad. I hope you're doing well Chris!

    ReplyDelete