Picture

Picture
Chestnut Hill Reservoir, Boston MA

16 March 2012

One More Month

The 116th Boston Marathon is one month away. Oddly enough, I'm not terribly excited or anxious about the race, despite the assurance of some strong training runs and the concerns of some persistently occasional aches and pains in my knees and ankles. I've been reflecting and praying about what this year's unexpectedly dampened enthusiasm for Boston could mean, especially when compared to the past two years of training for this event.

In 2010, I relished the novelty of my first Boston Marathon, savoring the thrilling aspects and unique traits of the course along my way to a personal best time that marked the achievement of a life goal– finishing a marathon in under three hours. The company of two good friends from Saint Louis in the race itself, along with the support of my parents who journeyed to Boston to cheer us on, enriched the joy of that accomplishment. In 2011, realizing a long-held dream– and long-established promise– to finish Boston with a long-time training partner and friend provided much of the motivation that carried me through a snowy winter and a sunny, mild race.

This year, I've realized lately, I've been training alone, despite being among more than 20,000 people around the country (and the world) who are also preparing for Boston next month. I haven't felt connected to that broader community, which likely says more about my mindset than it does about the fact that I don't know anyone running it this year. I've noticed other thoughts on loneliness and solitude, and the desire for deeper experiences of community that these feelings highlight. I've caught myself considering– with more than just a passing thought– that I might not run a marathon in 2013 unless I find a group of people with whom to share the adventure of training, and by extension, something of the journey of life that inspires us to pursue endurance athleticism with mildly crazed abandon. I'd rather not hang up my running shoes, but I'll admit that I'm as daunted by this emerging challenge to my lonely training as I am by the grueling final miles of a marathon.

So, with one month to go, I'm hoping to regain some of the verve I'll need to fuel my final weeks of training, as well as the long trip from Hopkinton to Boston on April 16. I'm hoping that I'll feel more connected to the running community in the events preceding the race, and be more proactive in seeking training partners as I look beyond my period of post-race recovery. Most of all, I'm praying that this lesson sticks; that despite the benefits of running in solitude, I'll strive to affirm and strengthen a foundation in community and companionship for all the training I pursue, both in running and in life.

Boylston Street
2011 Boston Marathon

No comments:

Post a Comment