Picture

Picture
Chestnut Hill Reservoir, Boston MA

08 January 2012

The Feast of the Epiphany

When Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea, in the days of King Herod,
behold, magi from the east arrived in Jerusalem, saying,
"Where is the newborn king of the Jews?
We saw his star at its rising and have come to do him homage."
[Matthew 2:1-2]
Caravan at Lake Asele, Ethiopia
[Original image here; appears in January 2012
issue of National Geographic]
I've resolved this year to renew my reading of National Geographic, a magazine with which I often slaked my curiosity and wanderlust while pursuing my geography major at Dartmouth College, and again as a refreshing diversion from philosophy studies at St. Louis University. In a fascinating article about a massive geologic rift in northeastern Ethiopia, I came across this image, which transformed my meditation on the journey of the Magi celebrated in today's Feast of the Epiphany of Our Lord. Most religious art depicting the arrival of the three "kings" or "wise men" greeting Jesus along with Mary and Joseph in the stable where he was born, gives them deserved pride of place, with perhaps a few shepherds, or an angel and the star, filling in the background. But what of their journey to Jerusalem and Bethlehem from that unnamed land to the east, likely modern-day Iraq or Iran? Traveling "alone," even as a party of three, seems rather dangerous in such a vast expanse of desert. Yet, amidst the transitory community of a caravan, what would they have shared with their fellow travelers concerning the purpose of their journey? The guiding star would have been visible to all, along with the familiar constellations that aid navigation in terrain bereft of landmarks. What impact would the magi's tales of prophecy, faith, and eager questing have had on the rich traders, poor servants, and others with whom they walked?


After their audience with the king they set out.
And behold, the star that they had seen at its rising preceded them,
until it came and stopped over the place where the child was.
They were overjoyed at seeing the star,
and on entering the house
they saw the child with Mary his mother.
They prostrated themselves and did him homage.
Then they opened their treasures
and offered him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
[Matthew 2:9-11]
Outdoor Nativity Scene
College of the Holy Cross, Worcester MA
I do keep a small quantity of incense in my room to occasionally aid my prayer, but I'm fresh out of gold and myrrh. Yet I do strive to surround myself with reminders of the spiritual gifts and physical objects, rich in symbolism, that I've been given– a handmade rosary from a friend in Virginia, an array of Christmas cards and photographs enclosed therein, a small stained-glass window that recalls the Catholic community at Dartmouth and the chapel that witnessed so much prayer and discernment. They remind me to honor and give thanks for the wonderful people who accompany my spiritual journey, animate my growth and formation in my ever-fuller response to the call to ordained ministry, and to be generous in journeying with others through life, whether the path is well-marked, or wends its way through terrain where guiding signs and reliable landmarks are few.

And having been warned in a dream not to return to Herod, 
they departed for their country by another way.
[Matthew 2:12]
The Magi
This final verse from today's Gospel was perhaps the most striking of all. A dream leads the magi to defy a king, depart (presumably) with some measure of secrecy, and chart a new course to their homeland. Having followed clear signs throughout their previous journey, and been spurred on by hope and a clear destination, suddenly it's not only the journey that's changed, but also their whole approach to wayfinding. I can recall profound encounters with Christ in prayer or in the lives of those with whom I've worked and ministered; these memories are the signposts that remind me of the path I'm walking, and sustain my desire for finding the Lord anew and opening up the treasures that I'm sometimes tempted to hide. I wonder what was on the minds and in the hearts of the magi as they joined up with an eastbound caravan, laden with the riches of new questions, new dreams, a new vision, and a light of heavenly origin that now mysteriously yet undeniably dwelled upon the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment