Picture

Picture
Chestnut Hill Reservoir, Boston MA

27 February 2012

Poetic Friendship

I often find that poets are graced with linguistic talent that eloquently clarifies my own reflections. In that vein, and in light of my previous post, I happily rediscovered the following poem by Robert Frost over the weekend. According to the marginal notes I keep in a volume of his works, I've shared it with many friends over the years, and even used it in a talk on vocations.

"Revelation"

We make ourselves a place apart
Behind light words that tease and flout,
But oh, the agitated heart
Till someone really find us out.

'Tis pity if the case require
(Or so we say) that in the end
We speak the literal to inspire
The understanding of a friend.

But so with all, from babes that play
At hide-and-seek to Fod afar,
So all who hide too well away
Must speak and tell us where they are.

–Robert Frost

[in "The Poetry of Robert Frost," edited by Edward Connery Lathem]

No comments:

Post a Comment