Picture

Picture
Chestnut Hill Reservoir, Boston MA

01 February 2012

Traveling Light

It's been a while since I've posted, mainly as a result of traveling for much of the past week. My first experience of "business travel"– also my first experience of attending an academic conference– took me to Washington DC for three days of participation in the annual national meeting of the American Association of Colleges and Universities (AAC&U). Along with approximately 2,000 people who have made higher education their life's work, I attended a variety of 75-minute sessions concerning everything from the inner lives of students to increasing higher education access in rural settings to the role played by general education and liberal arts in a holistic undergraduate experience that does more than simply increase a student's likelihood of employment. My boss and two colleagues from a prestigious architectural firm specializing in academic science buildings gave a presentation on collaborative space and its impact on the general campus community, as well as scientific disciplines in particular. [A fine series of videos produced by the firm– EYP– that highlights the science complex at Holy Cross can be found here.]

Given the relatively brief duration of the trip, and my desire to avoid baggage fees, I traveled extremely lightly... needing just a backpack and a well-traveled shoulder bag from Chile. The notes that I took over the course of the conference span only ten pages– light in the physical sense, but much denser in terms of the thought and reflection they continue to inspire. And the conversations I shared with friends– while running 8 miles around the National Mall and neighborhoods to the north, over late evening refreshments a few blocks from my hotel, or amidst a long dinner and a relaxing stroll through the quaint, historic, brick-paved scenery of Old Town Alexandria– provided some refreshing and light-hearted relaxation following some days of intense listening and thinking.

What do I take away from this new set of experiences and renewed conversations with friends whom I haven't seen in months, or even years? First, the importance of genuine dialogue, rich interpersonal connections, and the space in which to discuss and debate topics of intellectual, moral, ethical, spiritual, and personal significance. I'm still meditating on a rich series of conversations that I had with a professor from a satellite campus of a state university in a rural setting on the topic of campus dialogue about controversial social and religious issues, comparing and contrasting how they are handled at public, private, and religiously-affiliated institutions. Second, the events and exchanges of a few hours or a few days can lead to connections and projects that evolve over weeks and months. In light of those same conversations referenced above, as well as other sessions I attended, I'm suddenly much more invested in exploring ways to increase my engagement in dialogue and programming at Holy Cross around everything from the experience of minority and first-generation students to how engagement in social issues and spiritual reflection is fostered in the context of the College's Jesuit and Catholic identity and its religiously diverse community of students, faculty, and staff. Third, a strong belief– and an energetic curiosity– in the role that higher education can play in creating a more just, equitable, and participatory society that addresses the health and well-being of one and all... and a keen desire to participate more actively in that process as an aspect of my ongoing life and ministry in the Society of Jesus.

More to follow on these themes, I hope.

1 comment: